Welp, it’s time to put those yoga pants away and trade them back in for my light blue scrubs. After 6 weeks of break setting an alarm again is torture. I am definitely feeling out of practice–especially since I am diving right back into the shark tank with my Surgery rotation. I was assigned to the cardiothoracic service and I can imagine those are not sissy surgeries. My days will be filled with open heart surgery, lung resections and endless CABG procedures (coronary artery bypass grafts). I am a mixture of terrified and excited. However, if I am going to wake up at 4 am for something, surgery pretty much tops the list. Being in the OR is unlike anything I’ve ever done. It is an adrenaline rush, a stopper of time–it drains you of every ounce of energy, yet leaves you curiously wanting to come back and do it all over again. I am preparing myself for the most physically and mentally exhausting 8 weeks of my life. Good thing I just had a seriously long vacation.
I made the most of the last 6 weeks managing to jam pack it with travel, family & friends, a little work and even an elective! Here are the highlights:
- Spent the holidays with my family in Maryland
- Took a road trip to NYC
- Finished the whole House of Cards series, finished the whole The Knick series, finished the whole Making a Murder Series, caught up on all the various versions of Bravo’s Real Housewives
- Wrote two papers for publication!
- About 75 Surgery practice questions…
- Started a Go Fund Me campaign
- Did some voice over work for a promotional video
- Did some design work and drafted an Annual Report for one of my clients
- Got my nails painted by a professional!
- Went shopping and refreshed my wardrobe with some killer boots, a couple of amazing dresses and the perfect lace ensemble for my best-friend’s summer wedding
- Completed my first thoracotomy and learned how to place a chest tube (on a generously donated cadaver)
- Booked my trip to Las Vegas, where I’ll be presenting two abstracts
- Convinced my husband to come to Las Vegas with me (this took 5 seconds)
- Went wine tasting in Napa with my girlfriends of almost 20 years
- Explored San Francisco like a champ
- Made a couple EM podcasts which are part of the Residency curriculum at my Medical School
- Did a photoshoot with my awesome friend and a guest appearance on her YouTube channel
- Slept in, a lot
- Started running regularly again
- Finished decorating our living room with some amazing photography from my father in law
- Went on lots of overdue doctor’s appointments and other things regular people do not typically wait for a vacation to complete
- Did a couple shifts in the ED–spending time in my favorite place in the hospital
- Ate a lot of really amazing food
- Forgot for 6 weeks how difficult it is to be a third year med student
Fun is over friends. Time to get back to reality.